Troubling time for carvers!
We will have an important meeting Sunday at 2 pm at Foxfire concerning this turn of events at Foxfire.
Parks is going to charge $10.00 each time we meet at Foxfire starting probably in January. We learned this first from the newspaper, then Bob contacted them to see if it was true that only users of Foxfire would be charged. Answer is yes for now but the city is accessing rates for all areas. Increased due to budget constraints. They figure that Foxfire is costing them that much and they can recover it all from us.
This rent increase is very serious, as it would increase our cost by over $1,250.00 per year. We could make a couple of changes as follows.
2. Raise the dues to $30.00 per month, loosing some members, reducing our income even more. Probably more than we would collect. Start charging for carving time. Say a dollar each meeting and extend the carving time to all day. Doubt this would work either.
3. Pay the $1,250.00 up front from our reserve fund and continue on as usual for a year and deal with it next year. Just like our government does. Of course this would do away with the show as the reserve sees us through tight years and this amount is needed to prepay for the fair grounds.
4. Start meeting on Saturdays all day (cost$10.00) twice a month total $20.00, with business meeting one afternoon, say the first Saturday.
5. Look for another location, Jones Center for Families using the old Mercy Hospital, check with Bentonville to see if they have a senior center and would let us use it, Check with the Benton County Fairgrounds, check with Wellness center, maybe some church would allow us to meet there. Your guess is as good as any. If I had a large shop we could even
meet there, but I don’t, maybe one of you does.
6. Using this option would require us to empty all the storage at Foxfire, our library, go-by cabinet and all the stored show materials. Where would we place them??? Would we sell them? Would a member step up and store them?
7. Find a sponsor, any ideas where or who would help here?
8. What Where When? the old question. Maybe some of you have some suggestions.
Please attend and help us here, it is only a month and a half and we will have to start paying.
I feel real bad about this as this last year has been very difficult for me as your president. We were just about to achieve some renewal through using the fairgrounds for the show, connection with War Eagle Seminars, doing the quarterly carve-ins to stimulate new interest both locally and for the area, having a series of classes again, and hopefully building up our membership with the new recruits. This years show actually made a little money
and introduced us to new folks. Encouraging to say the least!
Cathy Still is your new president and she has taken on some
real challenges. Please lend her all the support she needs.